TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
MAKES: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) stout or nonalcoholicbeer
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 8 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add beer, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in mushrooms, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and savory. Return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-25 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy.