Taco Bell Chalupa bread Indian fry bread
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 cup milk
oil ( for deep frying)
Taco Bell Chalupa Supreme filling
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1/2 cup water
oil, for deep-frying
shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- To make Indian Fry Bread Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening; then add milk.
- Shape dough into a long cylinder; cut into 8 equal parts.
- Flour hands, then work the pieces into 6″ tortillas.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- To Make filling Mix dried onion with water in a small bowl and let stand for five minutes.
- Combine ground beef, flour, chili powder, paprika, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add onions and water.
- Mix again.
- In a skillet, cook beef mixture until browned.
- Stir often while cooking so no large chunks form; it should be more like a paste.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Build Chalupas starting with meat, then sour cream, lettuce cheese, and tomatoes in that order.
- Top with hot sauce or salsa if desired.
Tip: If bread puffs too much trying poking holes in the dough before frying or pop the bigger ones as you fry