1 1/2 teaspoons multicolored or green peppercorns, crushed*
1/2 teaspoon black or multicolored peppercorns, crushed*
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (2 1/2- to 3-lb.) boneless beef chuck roast
1 tablespoon canola oil
2/3 cup red wine or lower-sodium beef broth
1 1/3 cups water, divided
6 medium red potatoes (about 1 lb.), quartered
1 (8-oz.) pkg. button mushrooms, halved
4 oz. shallots (3 to 4 large), quartered
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine peppercorns, thyme and salt in small bowl. Pat beef dry; sprinkle with peppercorn mixture.
2. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil; heat until hot. Cook beef 10 minutes or until well-browned, turning once. Place in large ovenproof Dutch oven or deep roasting pan.
3. Add wine to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour over beef. Add 2/3 cup of the water to Dutch oven; cover.
4. Bake 2 hours. Arrange potatoes, mushrooms and shallots around beef. Bake, covered, an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove beef and vegetables; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
5. Whisk tomato paste into cooking liquid in Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk flour and remaining 2/3 cup water in small bowl until smooth; slowly whisk into sauce. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Serve with beef and vegetables.