- Combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes; drain. Let stand to cool.
- Coat bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with butter. Peel the potatoes and coarsely chop. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Heat the Cheddar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in milk, whipping cream, salt, dry mustard, nutmeg and black pepper. Pour sauce over potatoes. Chill, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the cover from the potatoes. Bake until potatoes are heated through and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Serve with baked chicken and green beans, if desired.
3 1/2 to 4 pounds baking potatoes, scrubbed
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon black pepper