8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups (12 ounces) chopped chocolate (chips or baking squares
- Combine butter, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer set at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the cocoa, egg and baking soda to creamed mixture. Beat until blended. Stir in the flour and white chocolate.
- Chill the cookie dough, covered, for 4 to 10 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease baking sheets.
- Shape heaping tablespoonfuls into balls. Arrange several inches apart on greased baking sheets, allowing 6 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes for a slightly chewy cookie or 14 minutes for a crisper cookie. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.