With Easter coming up I thought about this. Not everyone likes ham (yes I know that is not right, but I am one of them). I like this just about anytime really. It is a great Saturday or Sunday meal.
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup currant jelly
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 (3-pound) beef sirloin roast, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic pepper
- For the sauce, combine ketchup, liqueur, currant jelly and hot pepper sauce in a medium saucepan and mix well. Bring just to a boil, stirring continually to blend. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- For the beef, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over high heat. Rub the surface of the beef with garlic pepper.
- Sear beef in hot pan, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Roast in oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of beef registers 145°F for medium-rare, about 1 hour. Turn off the oven.
- Remove the beef from the oven. Spoon the desired amount of sauce over the beef. Return the beef to the oven. Let stand with oven door closed for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a serving platter and slice into desired thickness. Reheat the remaining sauce, if necessary, and serve warm with the beef.