1 (6-ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
1 medium onion
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
4 teaspoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme and crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
4 to 5 pounds beef short ribs
- Thaw the lemonade concentrate. Slice the onion. Separate the slices into rings.
- Combine lemonade concentrate and tomato sauce in a large heavy saucepan. Cook, stirring continually, over medium-high heat until mixture is hot.
- Add parsley, brown sugar, Worchester sauce, salt, thyme, red pepper flakes and bay leaf to tomato sauce mixture. Add ribs.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the ribs are easily pierced with a knife, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Skim fat from the surface of the sauce. Discard the bay leaf. Transfer the ribs to a serving platter. Spoon sauce over ribs. Serve with coleslaw and corn muffins, if desired.