- Heat chocolate chips in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup whipping cream in a medium bowl until blended. Add the egg yolk mixture gradually to chocolate, whisking continually. Cook, whisking continually, until blended, about 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand until cool.
- Pour remaining whipping cream into a large bowl. Beat at high speed, gradually adding the granulated sugar until soft peaks form.
- Stir pecans, vanilla extract and salt into chocolate mixture. Fold in whipped cream.
- Tear cake into bite-size pieces. Layer half the cake and half the chocolate mixture in a tall glass bowl. Top with remaining cake and spread with remaining chocolate mixture. Chill, covered, for 2 to 3 hours. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
1 (12-ounce) package chocolate chips
4 egg yolks
3 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10-ounce) angel food cake
Chocolate curls, optional for garnish