- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided $
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 Thai or serrano chiles, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce $
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper $
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add bell pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Remove shallot mixture from pan.
- 2. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well. Return chicken to pan over medium heat. Add chiles; cook 1 minute. Add shallot mixture to pan. Stir in fish sauce and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove pan from heat; stir in basil and juice. Serve with lime wedges.
Laraine Perri, Cooking Light