- 3 center-cut bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Fuji apple (1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1. Cook bacon pieces in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon pieces from pan, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Add sliced cabbage and chopped thyme to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring cabbage mixture occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover pan. Cook 5 more minutes. Stir in chopped apple and cider vinegar; cover. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in cooked bacon and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle scallops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until scallops are done. Place about 1 cup cabbage mixture on each of 4 plates. Arrange 4 scallops on each serving. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon dill.