Makes 6 servings
· 2 large eggs
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
· 6 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
· 1 cups crushed club crackers (or Panko)
· ½ cup vegetable oil
· 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
· ¼ teaspoon dried basil
· 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 tablespoon butter
· ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 6 slices mozzarella cheese
1. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
2. Whisk eggs, salt and pepper until blended. Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat with cracker crumbs (or Panko).
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken. Cook chicken until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; drain. Arrange in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 3500F. Wipe skillet with paper towels. Combine tomato sauce, basil and garlic powder in the skillet and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in butter. Pour over the chicken. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
6. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; remove the cover. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella. Bake for 10 minutes longer.