Makes 4 servings
· 1 (5 lbs) beef brisket, trimmed
· 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
· 2 cloves garlic, cut into halves
· 10 whole cloves
· 1 ¼ cups apple jelly
· 1/3 cup dry white wine or white-wine vinegar
· 3 tablespoon minced green onions
· 3 tablespoons brown mustard
· ¾ teaspoon cracked black pepper
· ¾ teaspoon curry powder
· ½ teaspoon salt
1. Place beef, onion, garlic and cloves in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Add just enough water to cover beef.
2. Bring beef mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until beef is tender, about 2 ½ to 3 hours. Drain, discarding onion, garlic and cloves. Return beef to Dutch oven
3. Preheat the oven to 325o F.
4. Combine apple jelly, wine, green onions, brown mustard, black pepper, curry powder and salt in a small saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Brush beef with the apple glaze.
5. Bake beef, basting frequently with apple glaze, for 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer the beef to a heated serving platter. Slice and serve immediately.
Hint: Drain liquid from beef through a cheesecloth to remove onions, garlic and cloves.