3 Acorn Squash about 1lb each
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 oz raisin
2 1/2 oz dark brown sugar
Ground nutmeg, pinch
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- Prepare a fire in a charcoal or gas grill
- Scoop out the seeds from the squash halves. Place each half, cut side up, on a piece of heavy foil. Brush the cut slides with oil. Sprinkle raisins over the halves. Wrap securely in the foil. Cook on an uncovered grill directly over the heat until the squash is tender when pierced with a thin skewer, 40-50 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and nutmeg. Unwrap the squash on the grill. Sprinkle with the brown sugar-nutmeg mixture and dot with butter. Carefully rewrap. Cook for about 5 minutes more, until the brown sugar and butter melt.
- Unwrap and serve, sprinkle with nuts.
- You can use any small variety of sugar pumpkins or small hard-shelled squash. Butternuts is also great with this recipe.
- Can be cooked in the oven using the same directions. Leave the foil open after adding the butter, brown sugar and nutmeg.