1 refrigerated pie pastry
2 medium Granny Smith apples
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoon butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-2 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425. Set the pie pastry out at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Peel, core and dice the apples. Place in a small bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
- Roll the pastry dough into a 16×8 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut into eight 4 inch squares
- Spoon 2 tablespoons on the apple mixture onto the center of each square of dough. Top the filling of each pie with a piece of butter. Brush the edges of the dough with some of the beaten eggs. Fold the corners of the dough toward the middle, covering the filling. Pinch the edges to seal. Place the filed squares on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pies with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Bake until lightly browned, 10 – 12 minutes. Cool the pies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Do not over stuff the pies, if you have extra left over use for other desserts.